What are Program Assistants (PAs)?
ROLE OF THE PROGRAM ASSISTANT
Program assistants are an important component to any successful CanSkate program.
The role of the program assistant (PA) will vary depending on the unique needs and
dynamics of a club but all duties involve assisting the Skate Canada coach in the delivery
of the program. The responsibilities of a PA may include:
• Assist the Skate Canada coach in delivering the program on‐ice and off‐ice
• Demonstrate skills and teaching progressions
• Supervise practice sessions
• Lead warm‐ups and cool‐downs under the direction of the Skate Canada coach
• Reinforce learned skills (follow‐up on coach instruction)
• Lead circuits, drills, group activities
• Distribute awards (stickers, badges, etc.)
• Take attendance
• Be a role model for young skaters